Ruth Bloom Research
A personal approach to family history


Look up Services

My record Look up service is aimed at people who know the document they wish to see, but cannot get to the archives themselves.

I can provide you with photocopies (where possible) or digital images.  Where documents are difficult to read or particularly large (e.g. Chancery documents) I can provide transcriptions or abstracts.

Please note that I do not normally offer a 'bulk photography' service - i.e. digitisation of complete documents - unless it is part of a research project.  In all cases you would be responsible for agreeing any copyright terms with TNA yourself.


You might be researching a particular person, place or event, and you've found out that the relevant records are held at The National Archives (TNA).  I live very close to TNA and am happy to do record look-ups there.  Sometimes you may already know the catalogue reference numbers, in which case my job is a lot easier.  If you do not know the catalogue reference numbers, then I will need a reasonably precise idea of what you are looking for - i.e. discharge papers for a specific soldier with probable discharge date, land records for a specific place in a given time period, correspondence regarding a specific event.